Is Your Patient Feeding Periodontal Pathogens?
Periodontal disease is multifactorial in nature. Medical conditions, stress, and nutrition play a critical role in how periodontal disease will progress. Therefore, the treatment of periodontal disease should include the assessment of nutrients consumed by each patient to better eliminate and prevent oral diseases. Patients are either feeding pathogens or promoting healing. This course is designed to investigate the nutrients that patients consume and how they affect the oral cavity.
- Review common periodontal pathogens
- Identify the role of nutrients in the progression of periodontal disease
- Explain how certain foods promote inflammation and create oral environments where bacteria thrive
- Determine which foods are contraindicated and preferred for periodontally involved patients
- Implement proper nutritional counseling into current periodontal protocols
- Access chairside technologies to effectively remove biofilm